Tuesday 6 July 2010

Osmotherly Phoenix


My first race for the Runfurther team, and I was excited about it but also a little apprehensive. I was not sure what to expect in tems of the terrain as the area was new to me. The morning of the race was a bit stressful as we drove around madly trying to buy a map of the North York moors. Unfortunately the map we had ordered had not arrived before we left Cornwall, so we we felt very disorganised having to buy one on the day! Anyway, with a map bought in Thirsk we drove on to Osmotherly for the start of the race. I met Mark just before the start, and he was just recovering from a chest infection so not racing. The church bells chimed at 9.00 and after a short hesitation we are off. I settled into a relaxed and very comfortable pace and enjoyed the new scenary and splendid views across the moors. Because of the three distances in the race, I could not work out who was doing which distance, and actually this was quite refreshing as I just thought I would go at my pace and not worry about positions. Mark was taking photo's on the downhill section leading to the first checkpoint so I am guessing that everybody was smiling at this point! I tucked in behind two ladies for the next section, and it was fairly easy running through the woods, and cool out of the sun. The next checkpoint, and then after this a fairly steep climb and out onto the moors again. This section was more difficult mentally as it seemed to go on for ever, stretching out in front and seeing runners a long way ahead. Then it was a self clip point at the Trig point and downhill all the way almost to the next checkpoint. Kit was checked here, and time penalties imposed for anyone without all the required items. I saw David (my husband) who gave me lots of encouragement, and then onwards and upwards to what seemed like a vertical climb. Mark was taking photo's here but I am sure I was not smiling! I felt a bit dizzy at the top and dehydrated and not feeling great. Somewhere around here, the marathon runners peeled off to go a different way, and I saw one of the Ladies who had been in front of me not quite sure of which way to go. I was not much help in assisting her as I was not really sure of my own way here! The next bit was all narrow stoney gulleys and I nearly tripped up a couple of times. Things get a bit vague here, but after a short road section there was another checkpoint and David was here taking photo's and being supportive. I had caught up with a small group of runners doing the 33 and I tagged onto them. However, shortly after this I got an agonising cramp in my left calf and had to resort to sitting on the ground thinking my race would be over! Luckily it went, but I was cautious after that and it cost me time definitely. I managed to catch up with a couple of the guys and they were really friendly and helpful and we chatted a little about other races. Another checkpoint and some rehydration tablets provided by another runner ( thanks for that!) and on again. There is usually a bit in a race like this where you want it to be over and I think this was it! It does not last though and I was encouraged when I saw David again, and then I could see Osmotherly in the distance. I met up with Simon on the last stretch. I was amazed to see someone I know, and he is such an inspiration. We stayed together for the last bit and ran in together.

I got to meet the other two Martyns at the end, and they had finished second and third so fantastic results for them. My finishing time was 5.50 and I had hoped to be a little quicker. Not sure where I finished in terms of the Ladies race, but definitely a race I want to do again. Also wish I could have stayed around a bit for the summer games as there was such a lovely atmosphere in the village but it was a long trip back to Cornwall!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jayne - Sorry to have missed you but I think you were halfway back to Cornwall by the time I finished! Have you done many races where you have to navigate? I certainly found that the major challenge... Anyway, be good to catch up at Bradwell, hope the training goes well.
    Martyn

    ReplyDelete