Sunday 1 August 2010

Martyn rambling

One week to go before The Long Tour Of Bradwell so I thought I'd give an update on life in between races.

Having spent most of the year prior to the Osmotherley Phoenix being 'ultra' disciplined with my diet - no wine; cheese; anything nice, the last last month has seen a bit of relapse. Still, at least I've managed to keep the runs going. Apart from a couple of games of squash (amazingly won) I had the week off after OP. Then I did a couple of 55-65 mile weeks including a really enjoyable long run from Hampton Court along the Thames. It did make me wonder why all the races in the series insist on being hilly. 279 ft is quite enough!



In other news, a beautiful pair of shoes arrived courtesy of Team Runfurther/Vasque. After the obligatory half and hour drooling on they went and it was off to the Delamere Forest! After a rather over-exuberant run, including some uncharacteristic searching out of steep banks to go up I was delighted with them. My only previous experience of trail shoes was 3 years ago and was quickly nipped in the bud after losing 2 toe-nails to the Clwydian Hills on my first run. These were a revelation though, going from cushioned road shoes I thought I would really miss the comfort but despite the odd design (no inner sole) they're really smooth. Coupled with lots of room in the toe box, good grip in mud and a hideous colour they're a hit with me!

Hopefully the shoes will make life a little easier next weekend but my quads have their doubts - 6500 ft of climbing! Scary... see you on the other side!


No comments:

Post a Comment